Thursday 13 June 2013

A Box with a story

Hi everyone and welcome. Astrid here with my first project for the merry month of June...

I altered a little pencil box that started life as an empty Panpastels box. But before I talk you through how I made it, I better tell you the story behind it that will explain the elements used on and in the box. You see, I am not the only arty one in the family, my husband loves sketching, particularly little town scapes.  He is very good at perspective, something that I am hopeless at. Anyway, whenever we travel and visit a town somewhere, rather than walk round together, he settles down somewhere to sketch, while I do the shops.... (he hates shopping...)We then arrange a time to meet up again, and  inevitably I am  late.... So, to make up for that, I decided to make him a box to keep his pencils in and to say thank you for rarely being cross with me about it.

So here's how I made it:
I started by painting the edges with Walnut Stain Distress Paint. I then covered both the in and the outside with papers from the Tim Holtz Crowded Attic paper collection and Distressed everything with Gathered Twigs Distress Ink .
Next I stamped the clock, key and sentiment from the Time and Keys set, cut them out inked them and adhered them to the box. I then covered the clock with Crackle Accents and the key with Glossy Accents
I decorated the top still with one of the elements from the papers and a pen nib.

 I love how with the glossy accents the key has come out looking so dimensional.
 Same with the clock and the Crackle Accents

For the inside I created a little book out of Kraft card and covered it with more of the papers. The book is made out of just one A 4 sheet, here is a link to a tutorial on how to do this.
The spine was made with an embossed bit of metal from an empty tomato paste tube that a friend gave me.



When I found the "Perfect Attendance Certificate" as one of the elements in the paper stash I just had to stick it on the inside of the lid, and the Painter ephemera bit was perfect for the cover of the book, further enhanced with another pen nib. DH can use the little book to stick some of his favourite sketches in

Th book closes with a ribbon and to finish it I just made a label still with the Scrabble and Tags set.

Oh an just a little reminder, if you haven't entered our Makes for Men challenge yet, there is still plenty of time. Just click on the image in the side bar to see all the deets!
Well, hope you like this little gift set, I had fun making it, thank you for visiting today!



29 comments:

Barbara (Ozzy) said...

Your husband should be thrilled with that, more than makes up for all his time waiting around i'm sure. love how you have thought each element out and found just what you were looking for to enhance your alterations - it was meant to be. x

Margaret Mifsud said...

Wow Astrid, your projects just get better and better. I looove this box and the story behind it. The way you thought out all the little elements and the papers you used are just incredible. This is sooooo gorgeous I'm sure your husband was thrilled to bits and he probably hopes you'll keep him waiting just a little longer so he can get more use out of it. LOL. ox Marg

Sarah said...

What a beautiful pencil box and a thoughtful gift for your husband. He certainly has a nice hobby to keep him occupied while you shop. The pencil box may become a good conversation piece, too.

Michelle said...

Gorgeous! All of the elements work together fabulously! I especially like the crackle clock. Beautiful!

Terry said...

Oh so worth the visit over here! Astrid, this is amazing and your husband will treasure this box! Any guy would love that pocket watch, so full of vintage goodness! Love this!

Claire said...

Beautiful project Astrid, everything works so well together. I bet your husband will treasure it
Claire xx

Helen said...

Beautiful project as always Astrid, love all the details you put into this.

Unknown said...

Well done Astrid! You have discovered the answer to the lifelong task of finding something to occupy the men in our lives while us girls shop!! I like it! I also like a man that has a 'hobby'!

This is such a lovely gift and is you all over your thoughtfulness and kindness shines out in your work. Simply beautiful! I wish we were closer....

Crafty Hugs
Heather xx

chrissie said...

What a wonderful idea for a gift and it looks amazing inside and outside.

Love Chrissie x

Brenda Brown said...

A fabulous altered box, love it Astrid.
hugs Brenda xxx

Paula Whittaker said...

what an amazing project

Words and Pictures said...

Absolute perfection, Astrid - the papers are wonderful, and your additional stamping is brilliant. The glossy and crackly dimensional accents on the images work beautifully, and the distressing is perfect. Gorgeous little book on the inside - a fabulous make, and the perfect gift for your patient sketcher!
Alison xx

Rita said...

Wow Astrid, your box is absolutely stunning. I'm still looking at the wonderful elements you have used to create this. The book in itself is beautiful and you have made it so personal to your husband. He must be so pleased with his gift. TFS. Hugs Rita xxx

Maryann Laursen said...

WAUW what a wonderful and just perfect gift for him, and it´s absolutely stunning made as always Astrid. I just love, how it end up here, soo gorgeous. I bet he was thrilled to bits too, when he got it?

Sandie said...

How precious is this and the story behind the box ... xxx

Marianne said...

How great is that: a man that's artsy too. Wish mine would draw or paint.
But he cooks delicious though :-)
Would a lovely pencilbox you made. And the sentiment and little booklet is fantastic.
xxx Marianne

Rossella said...

Lovely project, Astrid and lovely story
Rosie x

Monique said...

Beautiful box and book. I love how you made the spine from an empty tomato paste tube! It looks great.
xx

Ellen said...

Wowwwww Astrid, AWESOME!


Hugs,
Ellen

Ros Crawford said...

So fabulous!! I'm sure he will love this

Redanne said...

A lovely story Astrid, I bet he enjoys his 'extra time' for sketching. Your box is gorgeous and I love the wonderful book too. Hugs, Anne x

Jann said...

Such intricate collage work--just love everything you create, Astrid!

Hos Egebjerg said...

Just love it.
Hugs leila

May said...

WOW...I bet your husband is thrilled with this amazing box & book... Fabulous attention to detail... Love it!! Hugs May x x x

Dianne said...

This makes me weak, its so beautiful perfect gift, how wonderful you have your art to share with your husband, all those browns,are so luscious,ooohhh and that nib, its just perfect, perfect, perfect... Thanks so much for sharing your awesome creation...

Janny Jager said...

Fabulous pencilbox Astrid
Love every detail and your husband will be very pleased with it.
I think.
Greetings Janny

Dorthe said...

A gorgeous creation to your dear husbond, that he will enjoy bringing with him for all future travels and drawings!
It is so beautiful, with the fantastic papers you have used, dear Astrid, and I can see why you love the key and clock- they are amazing looking -the crackle is WOW!
Love your qoute also :-) and the book - wonderful spine, and tags on the closure!!
Just BEAUTIFUL!!!
Hugs,Dorthe

Artyjen said...

Love the box...a great effect.
xoxo Sioux

BJR said...

Stumbled onto this blog today. Love it! And I love this box!! It's beautiful...and the story that goes with it is, too! My hubby is this kinda' guy...and I make him things, too, because of it. ;) I just love this box...