Monday 28 February 2011

A Murder of Crows by Sue Roddis

It's time for my final piece as FEBRUARY GUEST DESIGNER here on
THE CREATIVE TEAM BLOG. I have enjoyed working with the ARTISTIC STAMPER stamps this last month and shall continue to use them over the coming months.
This time I have made another journal page..........
I really like this crows head!!!
The background was first painted with a layer of gesso......this acts as a barrier between the page and whatever you use over it. Once dry I rubbed PINE NEEDLES, CHIPPED SAPPHIRE and BLACK SOOT DISTRESS INK pads directly onto the page. Next spray with water to mingle the colours.......without the gesso the inks would sink into the page and would not mingle very well......dry with a heat gun.
Next use STREAM ADIRONDACK PAINT DABBER through a piece of sequin waste and then black ink through the sequin waste to add more interest to the background. Randomly stamp the birds words image across the pages.

Stamp several crow heads onto white paper along with the birds words. Cut out the crow heads and arrange overlapping on the page, glue in place. Tear small strips and pieces from the words and glue these randomly around the page.
To finish the page I hand wrote A MURDER OF CROWS.
Stamps used are:

I enjoyed playing with these stamps so much I made a second project with them........you can see it on my blog......JABBERWOCKY!
Here's a sneak peek................
Sue Roddis

7 comments:

Minxy said...

It has been lovely having you on the team this past month sharing your brilliant art, And this page is no exception, i love how you used the stamp xxx

Jennie -The Artistic Stamper said...

Fabulous journalling using the stamps :)) off to check out your other piece . It has been a pleasure having you with us this month. Thank you
xx

Joanne said...

I actually like this 'very dark' piece. Love the techniques.
xx

Artyjen said...

Mmmm....another fabulous piece...loved all your work here this month..
xoxo Sioux

Siobhan Brignull said...

I love that page the colours are great and I shall be trying that technique out soon.. thanks x

Anonymous said...

Fantastic piece of art Sue! Love your background technique!

Kirsten Alicia said...

I love these journal pages; they're very gothic. Think I may have to have that stamp set.